The Cottage is an accredited member of the National Children’s Alliance and Children’s Advocacy Centers of Georgia. The Cottage provides services to all victims of child abuse including physical abuse, sexual abuse, witness to domestic violence and witness to a homicide. All of the services provided by The Cottage are free of charge to the child victim and their non-offending caregivers. The Cottage also facilitates an array of trainings and presentations to help prevent child abuse and promote healing. Services provided by The Cottage include:
- Forensic Interview -- Forensic Interviews are only conducted at the request of Law Enforcement or The Department of Family and Children Services in the response to child abuse allegations. Forensic Interviews are only conducted by professionals trained to interview children regarding abusive situations.
- Medical Accompaniment -- Sexual Assault Exams may be requested when a child discloses sexual abuse. The Sexual Assault Exams are conducted by trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners. A member of The Cottage staff provides assistance and support to the child and non-offending caregiver during the exam.
- Advocacy -- Staff members of The Cottage provide crisis counseling during the intervention of child abuse which may include an investigation. Support and resources are provided to the child and non-offending caregiver to ensure all the child and family needs are met. Continued contact may be made to ensure stability and safety of the child. Staff members may also offer support and accompaniment to the child and non-offending caregivers throughout the judicial process.
- Referrals -- Referrals to community agencies to assist clients and their families with counseling, food, housing, and other needs.
- Counseling -- The Cottage provides counseling referrals to all victims of child abuse. The Cottage strives to provide therapeutic treatment free of charge to all child clients.
- Children’s Support Group -- The Cottage facilitates Hero’s, a group for victims of child abuse, for ages 5-10. Hero’s focuses on self esteem building and creating appropriate boundaries upon the intervention of the child’s abuse.
- Teen Support Group -- The Cottage’s teen group is established for female teens (ages 12-16) who are survivors of child sexual abuse. This group focuses on self-esteem building, healthy relationships, and the safety of the child.
- Non-Offending Caregiver (NOC) Support Group -- The NOC group is offered to all parents and caregivers of children and teens who have experienced sexual abuse. This group educates, supports, and empowers the NOC in order for them to have the skills and knowledge to help their children heal from their abusive experience.
Child abuse investigations are conducted by a team of professionals called a Multi-Disciplinary Team. The Multi-Disciplinary Team approach is to ensure every child in the service area is protected and all their needs are met.
Please contact The Cottage hotline if you or someone you know may be interested in any child services provided by The Cottage.
Books for Parents and Caregivers
Helping Your Child Recover from Sexual Abuse, Caren Adams and Jennifer Fay
When Your Child Has been Molested: A parents' Guide to Healing and Recovery, Kathryn Brohl with Joyce Case Potter
Healing The Harm Done: A Parent's Guide to Helping Your Child Overcome the Effects of Sexual Abuse, Jennifer Y. Levy, Ph.D
Preparing Children for Court: A Practitioner's Guide, Lynn Copen
Healing Activities for Children in Grief, Gay McWhorter
Treating Trauma and Traumatic Greif in Children and Adolescents, Judith A Cohen, Anthony P. Mannarino, and Esther Deblinger
Walking the Tiger, Peter Levine
1,2,3 Magic: Effective Discipline For Children, Thomas Phelan
Books for Children
A Terrible Thing Happened, Holmes
Brave Bart, C. Sheppard
Finding Sunshine After the Storm, Sharon A. McGee and Curtis Holmes
I Like Me, Nancy Carlson
The Empty Pot, Demi
When I Feel Angry, Cornelia Maude Spelman
The Way I Feel, Janan Cain
Your Body Belongs To You, C. Spelman